Re: fiber - cat5 - wireless

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Helber wrote:
>What is the best way to conect two points at about 350 m away?
>When I say best I´m talking about $ and performance.

Here's what I would do if I was paying.

350m is twice the maximum length of a segment of 10baseT/100baseT.  So put a
cheap hub or switch between them.  You may think it's crazy to use a switch,
but when you consider that a cheap switch (like the one I've got in my
loungue) costs $120 and gives you 100M full duplex it's probably worth it.

The only problem with this is that it relies on there being a good half-way
point that you can run a switch.  If you are considering running a line
between two buildings then this won't work.  But if the line is outside then
there's the issue of electrical interferance and earth-loops.
In that case I would consider the bandwidth requirements.  If 2Mb/s is all
you need then WaveLAN is a good solution.  It can do 1Km with ease and 4Km+ if
you use the right antennas and there's no interferance (NB it is generally not
advertised as being capable of really long distances).  WaveLAN does 2Mb/s
over unregulated frequencies (you don't need a permit).

Currently work is in progress on IEEE 802.11 wireless at 11Mb/s speed.  AFAIK
there are no available products that implement it.

If all these options are unsuitable then you can use fiber.  Fiber apparently
isn't as difficult as it used to be.  A former colleague of mine was
considering implementing a gigabit Ethernet network in his home because fiber
is so cheap and easy!  This thing of taking an hour to do a termination is
apparently a thing of the past.

Russell Coker