Re: fiber

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 12:03:01PM +0800, Sanjeev Gupta wrote:

> I have seen patchcords with a 3inch length stripped near the jack, and
> working on 10MBps.

10Base-T will run across almost anything in a quiet enviroment. A few
inches won't make much difference even at fast ethernet speeds in a
suitably quiet environment.

> I have seen a patch panel, with the ENTIRE panel
> patched with 2' lengths of wire, nicely bundled and routed, though of
> course they had no twists with respect to each other any longer.
  <snipped for brevity>
> I have rarely, and I do not use this word lightly, seen wire 3 & 6 twisted
> together.  Practically all the cabling vendors I have seen patch a 1-2,
> 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 style.  The network works, so they have been doing this for
> years, and they see no reason to change.

The biggest problem with bad habits is that you get away with them for
so long, you no longer suspect them when things go wrong. Personally,
I would rather take the time to do the job correctly, than risk that I
will later have to make excuses for why I didn't.

I've seen bad habits and sloppy math built into far too many products
sold by respected names in the business to believe that just because
they're selling it, it's right.

--
----   Art Sackett   ----