Re: fiber

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 05:43:00PM -0300, Gerard MacNeil wrote:

> I have read that you must ensure that the wires in the cat5 must be
> twisted all the way to the termination points to ensure reliabilty.

Except in unusually electromagnetically noisy environments, I've not
found any real support for this claim, although I've read it in more
than one place. It's been my experience that a few inches of parallel
conductors in a run of more than a few feet will cause no problems,
except in very noisy environments.

I'm more concerned about observing the pairings so that the right
signal lines are paired, and have seen more noise-related problems as
a result of illogical pairings than short runs of parallel conductors.

--
----   Art Sackett   ----