Re: only POP3

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 12:52:01PM +0200, Aubert Gabor wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I have a short question:
> What's the way, if I would like to provide only e-mail service to the
> users? No telnet, ftp account, only POP3.

You might look into qmail, and on the site at:

http://www.tibus.net/pgregg/projects/qmail/single-uid-howto.html

for instructions on how to support many POP3 users under one system UID.
It's one possible solution -- there may be others.

Because of the licensing of qmail, there's no binary .deb of it -- the
packages you get include the sources, and the package includes scripts to
handle the building of them. If you go for a reasonably complete qmail
installation, with ucspi-tcp and rblsmtpd, one of the packages is messed up
just a bit and will leave you with compiler warnings. I don't recall which it
is, but it's an easy fix. Find the subdirectory named for the package in
/tmp/ and change into it, then chmod u+x * the thing. The compiler warnings
will go away, and the result will be a nicely installable .deb of the binary.

I just started using qmail this year, and like it just fine. It's a lot easier
to administer than sendmail or smail, and it's allegedly a lot more secure,
too.

--
----   Art Sackett   ----