Re: logging of pop connections

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, t s a d i wrote:

> hello,
>
> this line's from my /var/log/daemon.log
>
>    Mar  7 12:00:52 bangus in.qpopper[994]: connect from 208.232.225.113
>
> i tried reading 'man syslog' but i cant clearly understand it yet.  can
> someone help me on what should i do so that i will know what was the
> username of that someone who connectec to the pop3 service ?

It indicates a POP connection from that address.  If you did not get
anything else in the log file, then the user was authenticated by your
server and you should have nothing to worry about.  It does not tell you
whether any mail was fetched.

To find out who (and how often), you need to tell qpopper to log
statistics.  From 'man qpopper':
       The  -s  flag turns on statistics logging using syslog(8)
       At the end of each popper session, the following  informa­
       tion is logged: username, number of messages deleted, num­
       ber of bytes deleted, number of message  left  on  server,
       number of bytes left on server.
Gerard MacNeil, P. Eng                          macneil@supercity.ns.ca
System Administrator
Supercity Internet Services                     http://www.supercity.ns.ca