Re: logging of pop connections

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, t s a d i wrote:

>    Mar  7 12:00:52 bangus in.qpopper[994]: connect from 208.232.225.113
>
> i tried reading 'man syslog' but i cant clearly understand it yet.  can
> someone help me on what should i do so that i will know what was the
> username of that someone who connectec to the pop3 service ?

(I don't use qpopper under Debian (I use gnu-pop3d) so this may be a
different. But I do use qpopper on another machine.)

qpopper has a run-time option "-s" for enabling statistics logging which
includes the username (and number of deleted messages, amount of delete
octets, messages left on server, octets left on server, name of client
machine and IP of client). Read the man page for in.qpopper. It may
show this. If so, then place the -s after it in your /etc/inetd.conf file
and reload inetd.

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://www.reedmedia.net
  http://bsd.reedmedia.net