Re: need help

Nathan Ridge wrote:

> We use 2 mainly, the Lucent Portmaster 3 and Cisco AS5200.  We have had one
> PM fail and one 10 modem card in another fail.  As far as Cisco, have never
> had a hardware fault.

> Cisco has a more complicated setup and config,

that's quite true but it can be done. we managed to set up an as5300
within
a week with hardly any cisco ios knowledge.
the only real problem with the cisco is, that we didn't find a way to
use "Simultaneous Use" attribute for isdn calls. (analog calls are
working
fine, but the isdn calls are getting a portnumber assigned, that cannot
be
queried by snmp - but that 's off topic)

> whereas pm's are simple but the Cisco provides far more diagnostics with
> their debugging and are far more configurable.  Cisco is a fair bit more
> expensive but if you want a powerful reliable access server Cisco is the one
> in my opinion.
>
> Regards
> Nathan
>
> > From: adnan rafique <adduu@yahoo.com>
> > Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:17:14 -0800 (PST)
> > To: debian-isp@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: need help
> >
> > could you guide regarding the access server.
> > how to use it ,

> > which is best etc...

that depends on what you are looking for. we took a
look at Lucent Max TnT, Ericsson Tigris and Cisco AS5300
(at the end it was not only a matter of functionality
and price but also a political decision)

Stefan

system engineering             +43-1-718-98-80
CUBiT IT Solutions         http://www.cubit.at