Re: Kernel >= 2.2.17 or 2.4.* for FW/Proxy

On 2000-12-07 11:05, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:
>> If you know what you are doing and are capable of properly testing a
>> kernel then use 2.4.0-test10 with Devfs.  It'll make things easier for you
>> in the
>
>test10 fails miserably with my hardware ( they detect that my hd is udma66
>but then fail to use it), test11 worked nice with my other machine, until
>I changed motherboard (p2b-s into p2b-s but a little bit more fresh - so
>as you can see it wasn't dramatical change) - then kernel crashed.
>You'd be better off avoiding 2.4.* for production machines for a while...
>Do you really need netfilter for you firewall? if so - use 2.4.
>if you don't - stick to ye'ole 2.2.x

test10 and test11 both worked fine for me in my tests.  I've heard some
reports of file system problems with test11 so I'm running test10.

test5 was the first unpatched version of Linux to ever do software RAID for
me.  Sure you can get non-standard kernels from Red Hat, VA, etc that are
2.2.x with RAIDtools2 patches but if you want that functionality in a
standard kernel released by Linus then you need 2.4.0-test5 minimum!