Re: IDE DAT Drive?

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Robert Davies wrote:

> [...]

<snip>

> Tape still has lowest cost per gigabyte.  Earlier this year the
> Onstream IDE drives with 30GB capacity were the most cost effective,
> and having used ADR-50's from Onstream, they appear to be much more
> robust than DAT or DDT technology.  Time will tell, the mechanisisms
> are simpler so there should be a lower MTBF.  The IDE versions are
> supported by the kernel since 2.2.16, patches were available before
> then, and tend to be faster and more robust than DAT technology which
> is based on consumer audio recording.  Consumer grade components are
> cheap, but tend to fail.

So, what software would one use to drive this?  It sounds like the
hardware is about right (we're using QIC-80's right now).  A real solution
involves good software as well as good media.

--
J-Mag Guthrie        /"\  "Even Microsoft's product managers privately
Brokersys            \ /   concede that this new version, with its