Re: RAID 5

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 09:43:24AM -0600, Matt Fair wrote:
> Hello,
> I have 3 10 gig hard rives.  There is nothing on any system, would I
> create a small partition on one of the drives (for example 100 - 200 meg
>
> Linux partition) to set everything up and use the source to recompile
> the kernel?  Or do I just go ahead and set up my regular partitions and
> then recompile a kernel with raid 5 support?  I am just confused with
> the first few steps I should take.  Right now I have a CD with potato.
> Thanks
> Matt
I suggest you have a few hundred meg partition for use as /

it's much more easy to recover this from a rescue-disk then recovering
a raid partition from a rescue-disk. you usually don't have all raid
tools on a rescue disk.

you can use RAID-1 for your / partition afterwards.
--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:       alson@linuxfreak.nl       <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
What did you say your (l)user name was...? ;-)