Re: IDE DAT Drive?

On 2000-11-22 11:44, Peter Billson wrote:
>Can anyone offer any info about IDE DAT Backup tape drives for use under
>Debian? The How-tos all talk about floppy drives and I am not sure if
>some/all/none of these drives are supported.

DAT isn't what I would choose to use for backups.  DAT isn't known for
long-term reliability.

I use CD-R for long-term backups and archives copied to the hard drives of
other machines for short-term backups.  CD-R should survive for decades,
there is no chance of accidentally over-writing it, and 650M of bzip2
compressed data is more than enough for most backups!

For short-term backups (when you accidentally delete yesterday's files) then
an archive on the hard drive of another machine is most conveniant.  Even an
archive on another hard drive of the same machine is quite good (it'll take
something quite serious to destroy two hard drives at the same time).

Oh, don't backup user's mail directories.  They change so much that a backup
that's more than 1 day old is probably useless.