resource limits

What is an easy way to find out how much of certain resources I am using?

In particular, how can I easily find out the following in use by the shell
and the processes started by it?

- the total size of all process's data segments
- total resident memory size
- the number of file descriptors I have in use (open files)
- the total stack size I have in use
- total CPU time in seconds
- total number of processes (per this session)
- total amount of virtual memory used by the shell

Does the "maximum resident set size" limit for all processes or just one
process? If for all, then how can I easily find out?

What does "pipe size" mean? How can I know how much I am using?

How do sh/bash ulimits or csh limits correlate with
/etc/security/limits.conf, /etc/limits, /etc/login.defs (ULIMIT) or
BSD-type login.conf session resource limits settings?

Does anyone have any answers to any of these questions?

Thanks

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://www.reedmedia.net/
  http://bsd.reedmedia.net/