Re: Re[2]: nat

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 07:42:36PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Oct 2000, Kevin wrote:
> >Wouldn't that also prevent the users from using legitimate outside
> >  mail servers?
>
> Are there any legitimate outside mail servers?

Sure, lots.

> If a mail server accepts mail from anywhere and relays it then it is probably
> listed in ORBS and MAPS and mail sent to it won't get very far.
>
> The only exception is people who do the "if POP request has come from an IP
> in the last 10 minutes then allow mail relaying" thing.  That number is so
> low that they could be made exceptions to the redirection rule on a
> case-by-case basis.

Um, no.

Lots of servers allow pop-before-smtp.  And with the advent of SMTP Auth
(supported by most MTA's and even most MUA's), a huge number of servers
allow relaying from authenticated users.  (And judging from my logs,
many clients happily authenticate even when they don't need to.)

Probably most clueful ISPs allow pop-before-smtp or SMTP Auth or both.
It's trivial to set up and it saves a ton of hassles from roaming users
or users with more than one ISP.