Re: startup

Mr. Ghost,

I have found that most of the time the /etc/rc.boot directory works
very well for starting your own services or making machine-specific
setting changes -- like scripts to set up ipchains or iptables.

It's one of those directories where everything gets executed in
alpanumeric sort order.  You just put executable shell/perl scripts,
or symlinks to the same in the directory, and they will be executed.
I will usually put the actual scripts in /usr/local/sbin and put
symlinks in /etc/rc.boot.  If you care about execution order, you can
do something similar to the naming scheme present in the /etc/rcN.d
directories.

If you also need a specific shutdown method (so far I haven't needed
this), then you can simply put your own scripts into /etc/init.d, and
set up symlinks in the appropriate runlevel directories, just like the
current setup.  Of course, if you're using a different kind of init
setup, that wouldn't apply.

Thanks,
Shawn