Re: RAID 5

Ok, I'll patch the !#@$%$ kernel, and no, I will not put the 2.4 ALPHA
kernel on. This as an excuse to get a Mickeysoft person converted, and
the last thing I need is to put a kernel on that is as bad as the NT he
loves so well. :) Well, maybe not as bad, but still unreliable.

No all I have to do is figure out how to patch. I assume
that /usr/bin/patch is what I use to patch the kernel. Actually, I got
the patch from RH, and tried to patch the kernel, but by that time it
was way early in the morning and I am not completely sure my eyes were
processing the full information read all the way to my brain.

Sooooo, followup question. Patch is the correct program to patch the
kernel? And, I assume the kernel howto or something will lead me
through by the hand. I was planning on building a custom kernel anyway
as I'm wanting to make this a fairly lean and mean kernel.

Finally, is there any place anyone is aware of that has the
configuration used by the Debian kernel binary builders?  In other
words, the /usr/src/linux/.config from when they build the kernel? In
the past, when I downloaded the source, I just went through and
removed/added things as I saw fit to the default configuration. But,
I'd like to start with what already is working on my machine.

Thanks for the advice.

Rod

> Depends on who you ask for that reccomendation, I used both without a
> problem for quite a while.  Also, the user was using a stock kernel
with
> (I think) the Debian distro and so "patch your kernel and
> recompile" wasn't a suggestion I was going to give unless I felt it
was a
> good idea.
>
> Besides, if you are willing to patch the kernel, why not just go with
> pre-2.4?  *grin*
>
> -Nathan (who loves background rebuilds)
>

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Tamas TEVESZ wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Nathan wrote:
> >
> >  > so go with the regular package for now since it's proven stable.
The
> >  > raidtools2 is there for people like me who can't stand running
stock
> >  > kernels and love to have the latest stuff break our prodution
boxes.

> > actually this is not recommended. what is, getting the raid patches
> > from people.redhat.com/~?mingo/raid-patches/raid-2.2.17-A0, patch
> > the kernel, recompile the kernel, and use raidtools2.
> >
> > has some problems around raid1 i think.. use .16-A0 then.

R. W. Rodolico
Daily Data, Inc.
POB 140465
Dallas  TX  75214-0465
214.827.2170

It appears I could be pursuing an untamed ornithoid to no purpose.
           --Brent Spiner as Data, Star Trek: The Next Generation