sort of load balancing question

I am currently running a box with around 3500 users and moved to use IMP.
Now we have slight problems with service during heavy usage time.

IMP doesnt let people in. I think it is database problem. To solve this I
though to put a link on a main page which redirects every other web-mail
request to other imp server. Is there any way to do round robin style
redirection only to one web service. or do you have better solutions...

Currently running on

550 P2 with 1GB mem
apache 1.3.12-2
php4 4.0.1 pl2-2