Re: Where to add default gateway

Adrian Nims wrote:

> Where should I add the default gateway ?
> If I make a "route add default gw xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt" then the debian will
> forget it after reboot. How should I make it in order the debian box not to
> forget it ?

on 2.2 it is /etc/network/interfaces

format looks like:
# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
iface eth0 inet static
	address 10.10.10.10
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 10.10.10.0
	broadcast 10.10.10.255
	gateway 10.10.10.1

on 2.1 it is /etc/init.d/network

format looks like:

#! /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
#route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=216.39.172.116
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=216.39.172.0
BROADCAST=216.39.172.255
GATEWAY=216.39.172.1
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
#route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336