Re: MySQL vs. Postgres

My workplace used php3 + mysql, then php3 + oracle, now looking at a
combination of php3 + local mysql + master oracle db (the local mysql db's
would act as  caches for fast answers to most page queries).  This is for
scalability and availability reasons.

php most commonly used with mysql, told by php dudes it's better supported,
and php4 + mysql further the integration, projects cooperating.  mysql are
doing work on replicating the db which would be a nice thing to have for
scalability.

> We run mySQL here and created an application with PHP3/4 to interface with
> the SQL engine. I will tell you now, that we re-wrote all the php pages
into
> ANSI C as the performance was PATHETIC. (p2 350 with 256 megs of ram) The
> performance was 10 times faster than php. Another thing that I notice
about

Rather surprised by that, wonder what the hit rate was.  On the web server I
run which has been pretty busy at times (1GB served less than a week, daily
access logs of 60-70MB), the php and apache usage was virtually undectable,
p3 650 256MB.

Basically DB access and network download times, swamped out anything that
the PHP interpreter does.