Re:inittab weirdness? <Clarified>

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Security wrote:
>Well, as I stated down a ways in the original post inittab gets overwritten
>on every reboot.
>
>Therein lies the rub.
>
>Tried that... Been there..
>
>Thanks anyway and sorry for the confusion.

Make the file immutable, presuming that your root file system is on Ext2 you
do the following:
chattr +i /etc/inittab

Now boot up and carefully look for error messages on the console.  Whatever
tries to write to or delete that file will get an error return (even a root
process) and will hopefully log what it's doing.

If nothing else it'll stopp that type of activity.

--
My current location - X marks the spot.