Re: inittab weirdness?

Hello,
I have had the exact same problem with a DEC PC 425se laptop. Its an older machine (486) and I have tried the same things as you with the same results. I am not all too famillar with the inner workings of init, but I still can not figure out why the lines are reset on a reboot.
Anyone have an idea?

-Todd

List;

Here is a weird one I can't seem to find the cause of. Perhaps it is inane,
harmless, etc but it is annoying. I get these respawning too fast errors to
the console. They go away when I comment out the
S:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS3 line and init q it. Until a reboot that
is.

Truncated for brevity:

or       [-hiLmw] [-l login_program] [-t timeout] [-I initstring] [-H
login_host] line baud_rate,... [termtype]
INIT: Id "S" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

I edit my inittab file to look like this in the last lines:

# Example how to put a getty on a modem line.
#

#S:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS3

After a reboot it looks like this:

# how to put a getty on a modem line.

S:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS3

I did all kinds of things like make the file read only but it still
happens. I have absolutely no need for a getty on a modem line, I am on a
LAN and no phone line ever connects to this box. It is a IBM Thinkpad 701C
Laptop with a brand spanking new potato installed yesterday. It connects
through a Xircom PC card and 10baseT. Perhaps I have a package installed I
don't need or somesuch.

Personal replies appreciated, but responding to the list helps everyone.

Your time and any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Tom