Re: ** Emegancy Request **

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Youri Albinovanus wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >             Can someone please tell me the easiest and safest way to mirror
> > a Hard Drive,  keeping all permissions, owner, groups etc. intact
> >
> > Thanks in Advance
> > Bill
> >
> > --
>
> Hello,
>
> If you need to mirror a disk in the same machine, you can try dd comand, this
> will really make an exact copy of your disk
> the command should be something like :
> dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

This is a good solution if the drive you're mirroring to is *exactly the
same* as the disk you're mirroring from. If the physical geometry of each
drive does not match identically (one is a 2g quantum and the other a 4g
IBM, for instance) and you mirror the smaller drive on the larger drive /w
dd, the larger drive will show as a 2g unit. If you don't have same size
disks, use tar, as root:

tar cvf - / | ssh -l root <remote host> tar xvf -

(assuming you're going from one machine to another)

If you're mirroring to a local disk, you can generate the appropriate
command line to untar the filestream on the other disk.

Brian
fade@etc.etc.etc.

How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for
somewhere else..
                                       -- R. Buckminster Fuller