Re: 2500 Linux workstation !

Russell Coker wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Catalin Ciocoiu wrote:
> >In a slashdot articol somebody lace a interesing question....
> >What is the best solution for a network width 2500 Linux WorkStation ?
> >I proposed a diskless workstation sollution becose is very robust
> >sollution.
> >Is it a good sollution ????
> >What filesystem can be used for file sharing ?? Is NFS ok ???
> >What kind of authentification can be used in this network  ?
> >
> >I waiting your answares !!
>
> One problem with diskless workstations is the issue of what happend when they
> all reboot simultaneously (EG power failure).  I suggest that you setup a
> diskless workstation that is fully configured (X, xdm, etc), reboot it and
> track the amount of data transfer that is required.  I guess that it might be
> about 30M of data access on disk.  Multiply that by 2500 and that's 75G of
> data transfer, it would be 2 hours of network transfer on 100baseT if you
> didn't have timeouts and retransmits.  Of course with that load you would
> have heaps of timeouts and it would take much longer...

	Whell .... On this network can be more than 1 fileserver and the
traffic
can be splited on more network segment. One file server for 50-100
station can be
ok ! The file server for 100 station is on the same net segment width
the station.
This can reduce subtantial net traffic over segments.

	The /usr dir can be the same. And most files on the slash can be hard
link
for the same inod( eg: /bin/ls ).