pppd problem, authentication doesn't seem to work.

Hi all,

I've got a linux box set up as a ppp server, using mgetty with AutoPPP
and pppd (2.3.11-1.4 - Potato's current version as far as I know).

The problem seems to be that it's not asking the remote machine to
authenticate.  It will allow logins with any password, any username,
etc. to log in.

I have the "login" option set and the "auth" option set.

In /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets I have a line like so:

*	*	""	*

I believe this is correct.  I've copied all config files off another
working setup I've done in the past, running the same version of Potato,
and I cant seem to get it to work.

Any suggestions would be great.

Regards,
Robert Davidson.