PPP dial-up server w/ multiple eth adapters: "operation not permitted"

Hi there,

I have a strange problem getting a PPP dial-up working.

The machine is running Debian 2.1 and kernel 2.2.13.

I use mgetty which properly transfers the call to pppd. The clients
gets its
correct IP address, but it can't ping the p-t-p address, nor can I ping
the
client from the server. If I try to do so I get a "operation not
permitted."

It seems that pppd on the server is confused which ip address to assign
the ppp0 interface. The machine has two network interfaces, eth0 which
connects it to the rest of the world, and eth1 which connects it to a
LAN.

Since the dial-in machine is being assigned an internal (LAN) address I
need
proxy-arp. However due to my understanding this can't work if the ppp0
interface on the server is being assigned the external if address
instead of
the internal one.

Let me try to draw a simple map of the setup:
                   ___
                 _/   \___
                /         \    internet
                |        _/
                 \______/

                    O          eth0 with external IP
                  +---+
              M---|   |        router w/ modem attached
                  +---+
                    O          eth1 w/ internal IP

        +---+---+---+---+---+
        |   |   |   |   |   |
       +-+ +-+ +-+ +-+ +-+ +-+
       +-+ +-+ +-+ +-+ +-+ +-+

The router's eth1 interface as well as all the LAN machines have
official ip
addresses from out of the same class C network.

The router's eth0 interface is the router's default gateway.

Questions:

1) Do I need to assign the ppp0 interface a unique IP address? Or can I

leave the default address that pppd assigns (namely the address of the
external(!) if eth0)? How do I force pppd to assign a specified ip
address?
Entering an address into options.modem (for serial line /dev/modem)
does NOT
work for me.

2) What about proxy arp. I had the "proxyarp" entry in "options" but it

wouldn't work this way, so I tried to manually set up a proxy arp entry
that
connects the client's IP to the router's eth1(!) MAC/ethernet address.
But
this didn't ehlp either. :-(

Any other gotchas I should watch for?

Thanks,

Ralf, Andreas

--
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Abach * Lehrstuhl fuer Kunststofftechnik Uni Erlangen
 Tel.: +49-9131-85297-06 * Fax.: -09 * email: Abach@LKT.Uni-Erlangen.de