upgrade

I installed my base Debian from a CD of 2.1r4.  Then in Deselect I used the
apt selection for downloading the packages.  Does this method also update my
kernel to the current one debian uses?  I keep hearing about the release
potato....which one is this?  I tried using apt from the command line by
typing apt-get dist-upgrade, but it came back and said none to upgrade.  I
know they have 2.1r5 out and I'm not sure if I what I did upgraded.  When is
2.2 suppose to come out, or is that potato?

what do I type to show the current kernel version?

Wayne