Re: mail server w/ 65000++ users

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 12:28:40PM +0200, Robert Varga wrote:
>
> > Its documentation is a joke I think. It is 800 pages, but unusable for
> > anything but reading it from the start, but if you want to search in it
> > quickly and haven't read it before, because you just want to put in
> > something, then it is unusable.
>
> Depends on what you're after in terms of documentation, of course - I
> always found it quite nice when I used Exim.  It's also worth looking at
> the FAQ which is more oriented towards "I'd like to..." when you don't
> know the sort of Exim feature you'd use.  It fulfils a lot of the roles
> of a tutorial-type section in the manual.

I told what I told from my experience. I tried to set up virtual users
and virtual domains, looked at the FAQ, and did not know where to put
in the config file, what I found there. It's simply unusable this way, or
at least it was that a year ago when I tried it. Even sendmail
documentation is better than that, at least I managed to do it with
sendmail which I put up instead of exim then. After that, I looked at
qmail, and now I don't install anything else on any machine I install.

> > Speed: much slower than qmail.
>
> It's not that bad - from my memories of both Exim and qmail I think that
> qmail has some much more aggressive defaults than Exim.  I could be
> wrong on that, but it's certainly possible to push a good load through
> Exim.

You should try a stress test. :)

Robert