LDAP on debian

Well, I don't know where to start. Well...

There's someone who want to learn LDAP (ME :)

Debian is using LDAP to authenticate users but I couldnt realize how it's
done.

The LDAP-guide is not well documented and I don't understand it very well...

The first problem is to setup an LDAP server. How to use it, how to
configure it. Then how to configure a host to use LDAP as the server to
authenticate. I know there's pam-ldap and nss-ldap. But how d.org do that?

I need the guidelines, for example, there's a lot of files in /etc/openldap/
which are in the ldif format?

How does slapd run? I mean which files in the configuration dir uses?
How to configure a database for the authentication purposes?
How to add/remove entries in the database?
When the configuration file change, how to update the running slapd server?
Does LDAP has accounting? (like /var/log/wtmp?)

I read a lot of the ldap-guide. Classes, persons attributes, but couldn't
find a way to join each other with the authentication. I mean the
interaction of the diferent parts do setup an LDAP-authenticated based network.

Is there any HOWTO's
Is there any text explaining how does it work? I mean The guide explain how
to get, untar, configure, compile, install, run, change things, what it is,
netscape...

But nothing as to how the database must be for authentication purposes.

--
Bye
    Carlos Barros.