Re: can apache log to MySQL ?

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 02:51:56AM -0700, t s a d i wrote:

>     http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2000/04/perl/
>
>     written by Randal Shwartz.
>
> Craig, thanks a lot for the script. would you also (and all other PERL
> experts) take a look at Randal's scripts and maybe tell us what you
> think ?

well, Randal is one of the gurus of perl so whatever he writes is bound to
be good.

his version depends on mod_perl. if you're happy to use mod_perl,
then use either randal's script or libapache-dbilogger-perl (aka
Apache::DBILog).

if you want your logs in a database without the overhead of mod_perl,
then use the ideas presented in my sample script, either by piping the
logs directly into the script or by processing a log file with a cron
job every half hour or so.

the cron job variant is probably safer and less load on the system, but
you're trading off the instant gratification of up-to-the-second stats -
the stats summary will always be up to half an hour behind.

OTOH if you're doing that, you may as well just feed it into webalizer
every half hour...it does a lot more, including generation of pretty
graphs.

craig

--
craig sanders