APC PowerChute software - problems in slink installation

Howdy, Folks:

I just got saddled with an APC BackUPS Pro... I hacked up the PowerChute
INSTALL script to get things installed, the upsd daemon runs, and seems
to be doing its thing as it makes entries in /var/log/syslog as would
seem normal.

The rub comes when I try to run xpowerchute on another machine on the
network -- while awaiting the installation of our fat internet
connection, there's only one machine that can reach the internet, the
one I'm on now, using a 56k modem. xpowerchute won't even look for a
network unless I've established a ppp connection, and then doesn't find
anything.

There's no X on the machine protected by the APC UPS, so I don't know
whether it would or would not work there.

Has anyone else ever seen this problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance, and have a good one!

--
----   Art Sackett   ----