Identifying Unique Website Visitors

One of our clients has requested that they be able to track unique visitors
to their website.  The only method I know of is using cookies (with or
without login).  I have investigated mod_usertrack from Apache and it seems
to fit the bill.

I modified the logfile so that the cookie is logged where the
"authenticated user" value is normally logged.  I have also tried logging
with the normal log + cookie value and also a dedicated cookie log.

My idea is to implement a cookie authentication system where their email
address is assigned to a cookie called username.  I would also have Apache
assign a "username" cookie.  So if a person authenticates themselves their
cookie will forever remain their email address ... if not it would be a the
Apache assigned value.

My question is what log analysis software will let them make use of this
cookie value to actually get them this information in a human readable
form.  I'd prefer (as would the client) to get a drop-in solution.  Any
suggestions as to better ways of doing this would be greatly appreciated as
well.

Thanks,

Fraser