Re: Webshop solution for Unix/Linux?

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Roger Abrahamsson wrote:

> Just had a great discussion with one of our salespersons about webshop
> solutions. He's just found some shop running on NT/asp and is just
> delirious.

Apt choice of adjective.
Can he/you maintain it?  (I.e. when, in six months from now, he wants to
do this, that and the other with it, will he/you be able to?)

> I've been propagating for MiniVend, but they just want a ready
> solution to push to customers. So my question is if there exists any 'turn
> key' solution with Minivend

Sort of.  It comes with a ready-made Art Shop demo database which works
"out the box", but which probably isn't anything like what you or your
salespeople want.

I had very little hassle getting it to work; I then spent two weeks
re-configuring it to be _just_ what I wanted; dropped an 8000-item
comma-separated list in as a database, and am now a very happy
Minivend user.  (Sorry -- not publicly available, otherwise I'd point
you to it.)
I also have the satisfaction of knowing that I can re-configure it at any
time I want.
It *didn't* blow up any of my Perl libraries; nor has it interfered with
any of my other Perl CGI scripts on the same server.
(Debian 2.1; kernel 2.2.13 (sic); + whatever was the latest version of
Perl at Christmastime.)

> I would much rather try and keep as much as possible on Unix, as they
> never seem to crash.. :)

Nevertheless, NT or Linux, _thoroughly_ soak-test it before going live to
a paying public, if you want to keep your customers.

[And my personal opinion for what it's worth -- having administered an NT
network, I wouldn't trust it to run a 24hr/7days/wk webshop unless I had
a team of three guys hovering round it permanently.
2 pence and too much experience buys you bags of cynicism!]
--
Martin Wheeler       -       StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                      http://www.startext.co.uk/