Re: ps aux gets confused > 248 days uptime?

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Pete Templin wrote:

> I've got two Debian 2.0 boxes (and I've seen this behavior before, on 1.3
> and 2.0) which now seem to have odd "process start dates" in a ps aux.
> Among other things, notice the processes owned by www-data at the bottom
> (Jan 8).  I just hand-started apache.  System uptime is 252 days.
>
> Besides upgrading to 2.1 or disregarding this, any suggestions on what is
> going on?

I just noticed this odd behavior on 3 of my debian linux boxes a few weeks
ago (all running 1.3 with a 2.0.36 kernel). I've noticed something else
too...

root        13 99.9  0.0   800    44  ?  S     06:32 820:59 update
(bdflush)

Don't know why update is showing 99.9% cpu, however it doesn't seem to be
affecting anything. I also noticed a problem zsh (which I use for my login
shell), version 3.0.2, which only takes the first 2 characters of a
commandline and doesn't show the rest.. but an upgrade fixed that.
Overall, something's really weird, but hasn't seemed to affect anything
other than those minor issues.

-Leigh

---
Leigh Koven                                   CyberComm Online Services
leighk@thegovernment.net                      http://www.cybercomm.net/
http://www.thegovernment.net/                            (732) 818-3333
"Just do me a favor and check your baggage at the door" - The Offspring