Re: Centralising passwords/radius accounting

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Technical Support wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Russell Coker wrote:
>
>> They do the same sort of thing in much the same way.  Don't bother with PAM,
>> using the NSS modules is much easier and for the read-only side of things PAM
>> offers no benefit.
>
>The nss libs are included in the deb or will they need to be created from
>source?

The libnss-ldap package does it all for me.

>> Most RADIUS servers now are capable of doing LDAP authentication directly
>> without using getpwnam() to access data in LDAP.  This is good because it
>> allows more than just searching on user-name.  You can configure the RADIUS
>> server to look for extra attributes to determine whether the user can access.
>> You could probably even store things like static IP addresses  in LDAP.
>> One site that I'm working with has LDAP storing the phone numbers used to
>> call the terminal server.  Both the phone number AND the password must match
>> to give the user access.
>
>The primary concern that I have is the billing/tech system that we have
>devleoped. It is currently MySQL based. Are there LDAP access modules for
>Perl? I relize that I could RTM and figure this out without bothering you,
>so TIA for any more info. :)

Of course.  There is PERL access code for everything.

Radiator (which is a RADIUS server written in Perl) has LDAP support...

--
The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with