Re: Centralising passwords/radius accounting

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Russell Coker wrote:

> They do the same sort of thing in much the same way.  Don't bother with PAM,
> using the NSS modules is much easier and for the read-only side of things PAM
> offers no benefit.

The nss libs are included in the deb or will they need to be created from
source?

> Most RADIUS servers now are capable of doing LDAP authentication directly
> without using getpwnam() to access data in LDAP.  This is good because it
> allows more than just searching on user-name.  You can configure the RADIUS
> server to look for extra attributes to determine whether the user can access.
> You could probably even store things like static IP addresses  in LDAP.
> One site that I'm working with has LDAP storing the phone numbers used to
> call the terminal server.  Both the phone number AND the password must match
> to give the user access.

The primary concern that I have is the billing/tech system that we have
devleoped. It is currently MySQL based. Are there LDAP access modules for
Perl? I relize that I could RTM and figure this out without bothering you,
so TIA for any more info. :)

> --
> The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
> consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with
> Microsoft's self-interest.
> -- Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson, U.S. District Judge

Jaysen O'Dell

   Oatka Data Solutions
        Technical Support -- <tech@oatka.net>

   AcornWorld Internet Services