Re: Centralising passwords/radius accounting

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Mitchell wrote:
>Hi, just a quick question to see if anyone has ideas on the best way to
>centralise our password/accounting system.
>
>Currently w e have a main pop, and are about to add 2 new ones in
>different locations.
>
>Rather than having complete installations at each location, I was thinking
>we would probably only put a radius / squid proxy at each location.
>
>However we would want passwords to be chared from  ur centralised server,
>and all accounting information passed back to it.

Use LDAP for Authentication and install OpenLDAP servers at all locations.
Have all writes go to the main LDAP server and have it replicate to the other
ones.  This way a minimal amount of bandwidth will be taken up between the
POP's, there will be full redundancy, and it will work with most currently
available RADIUS servers.

--
The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with