Centralising passwords/radius accounting

Hi, just a quick question to see if anyone has ideas on the best way to
centralise our password/accounting system.

Currently w e have a main pop, and are about to add 2 new ones in
different locations.

Rather than having complete installations at each location, I was thinking
we would probably only put a radius / squid proxy at each location.

However we would want passwords to be chared from  ur centralised server,
and all accounting information passed back to it.

having only 1 radius server doesn't strike me as being such a good idea
because if our main pop for some reason goes down then no one will ae able
to authenticate.

also the problem with a solution such as NIS.

unless there is some way to update our centralised /etc/password files and
then duplicate them accross al lthe systems.

Accounting shouldn't be much of a problem, we are currently using the
icradius server dso we could just syncronise sql tables on an hoursy bases
or something. wtill have to work out an efficient way to do that also.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Has anyone else currently got a setup like this working??

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

 --

Linux IS user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.