Re: Bind sanity check

On Mon, 06 Dec 1999, Nate Duehr wrote:
>Looks pretty good, ditto to Chris Wagner's comments.
>
>You might want to take out the HINFO stuff.  It's not necessary to
>publicize your system type and some people consider HINFO a security
>risk.  Up to you.

I took out the HINFO records from my zones some time ago, not because of
security issues, but because there's no client software that uses them.  The
only way to use them is to manually set the type in nslookup and retrieve
them.  No-one does so thus making it a waste of disk space.

>I'm not sure, but you could just set up the MX record once for the
>entire domain and not mess with it on each A record, if I remember
>correctly.  You can do this in a section with an $ORIGIN of ".net" and
>then have sub-domain type syntax in the same section.
>
>Some people aim the A record for their domain to their webserver or
>their mailserver, and in this case I assume you're doing both there...
>
>You may consider adding an A record for the domain without a system
>name... i.e. an A record for golgotha.net all by itself.
>
>It's a little kludge that works nicely... if someone sends mail to
>"xyz@golgotha.net" and the mailer can find an A record for golgotha.net,
>it'll deliver without having to look up the MX record.

No.  MX record says where to deliver the mail.  An A record will only be used
if there is no MX.  The entire point of an MX record is to deliver mail
addressed to a machine to some other place than the machine.  Using the A
record as a first priority would prevent this.

--
The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with