Re: redir y firewall

I don't have the origional post, but if I remember correctly the router
you are using is doing NAT, then you have the linux firewall, and you are
redirecting the port in both places.

The problem is going arise with the ftp-data port.  If you use passive FTP
your existing setup should work.  The ftp-data connection opens in
reverse, so from the NT server it would origionate on port23, but go to
some random port.  The packets should be forwarded by your existing MASQ
and NAT setup, but the source port # will be changed, and this will
confuse the ftp client, and it will not work.

I do not see a way around this.  You are going to have to force the ftp
clients to use passive FTP.  I have some ideas on how you could get around
it, but I don't think the kernel currently would implement them.  You want
to forward packets from the internal network origionating on port 23
unmasqeraded, but with the source address rewriten to the external router
address.  Then you could setup a forward for the ftp-data port just as you
have done already.

So your options are:
use ssh and scp to copy files, and allow people to do ftp over ssh (using
the ssh tunneling stuff, I however haven't used it much)

and/or

use passive FTP.