Re: IMAP Experiences.

At 02:13 PM 11/27/99 +0100, Christian Hammers wrote:
>> I've had someone ask me about the possibility of IMAP. I must say it's
>> not a service I feel particularly comfortable running - the only IMAP
>> package in Debian seems to be the UW one, which has had more than it's
>> fair share of remote exploits from what I remember.
>
>The UW-imap is AFAIK the only one that can use unix /var/spool/mail/xxx
>folders. If most of your users use pop3 until now it's better to stay
>that way.
>IF I remember correctly you have to modify your sendmail configuration
>to use cyrus imapd ?

The best modification you can make to your sendmail is to switch to
Postfix.  Really.  It's development is coming along nicely and it's pretty
much a drop in replacement for Sendmail.  Many people have converted
sizable installations in an afternoon and raved about the simplcity and
great performance.  Reports indicate that Postfix is more than capable of
out performing Qmail.  Moreover, you get IBM's Open Source license, which
incorporated input from the Postfix community, as opposed to djb's somewhat
unpopular license.  I also seem to recall hearing that the next Debian
release is planning to use Postfix as the default MTA?

Ciao-- Ken
http://www.y2know.org/safari

The Internet is not a network of computers. It is a network of people. That
is its real strength.