Re: Make a linux Switch

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Andrew Clark wrote:

> My understanding of switches was that they could segment the network.
> If this is what you are after yes Linux can do it.  We have a machine at
> work that has 4 cards in it and it segments the class C as follows:

Here, you have a router.  Essentially, hubs operate at layer 1 (they
handle electrical impulses and repeat them out all ports).  Bridges
operate at layer 2 (they make forwarding decisions based on destination
MAC address); switches are bridges with significantly more than two or
three ports.  Routers make forwarding decisions based on layer 3
information (IP address), or can make decisions based on layer 4 (TCP or
UDP ports) when performing things like policy routing.

Switches divide a network segment into individual collision domains (which
could be as small as one PC per collision domain), allowing greater
utilization of the bandwidth at hand.  Switches do forward broadcasts
throughout the segment, so a broadcast-happy network design will still
feel a bandwidth pinch at peak times.

Routers connect multiple segments (broadcast domains), which could each be
a conglomeration of switched collision domains, but do not forward
broadcasts (for the most part - DHCP is a prime exception, and broadcasts
directed to a remote router are not easily identified as broadcasts and
are forwarded).

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr., CCNA
Systems and Networks Administrator

On-Line Internet Services - URDirect.net
A division of Global On-Line Computers
2414 Babcock Rd. Suite 106		templin@urdirect.net
San Antonio, TX 78229			(210)692-9911