Re: How to limit it ?

* Grzegorz Pawel Szostak said:
> > and CPU time. The rest is just fine tuning the other parameters - after all,
> > the data and stack is what takes 90% of the space. Limiting the image size
> > of the binary executable is pointless - you've got full control over what
> > the user can or cannot execute - just deny him the right to execute anything
> > from his/her home directory.
> but what happens when he/she run: /lib/ld-linux.so.2 $HOME/any_executable
> ? It works!
And what happens if s/he does 'ln -sf /etc/passwd moo' and then opens 'moo'?
It works - your kernel code will look for /etc/passwd or passwd or whatever
and not /home/lameuser/moo. On what level you will implement that call? VFS
or FS? If you are soo worried about it, don't use dynamically linked
binaries... But either way, I think that what you're talking about is an
unjustified paranoia - if you don't want you users to know who's on the
system, close each and every one of them in a chroot jail or deny shell
access.

> > true. As a side note - tcsh takes half the memory bash consumes and has all
> > the sprinkles bash does. :))
> >
> > > ulimit -d 2097148 -c 0 -n 64 -s 8192 -u 64 -l 4096 -m 4096 -v 8192
> > >
> > > and it is good enough for me.
> > And what about your user who wants to use ash, sash, csh, ksh, zsh, rc,
> > pdmenu or whatever other shell s/he ...
> They first use bash ... but i'm not sure if bash leavs environment ...
A bogus argument. They can change to some other shell, or invoke some other
program directly using ssh - what will you do then??? Come up with a similar
solution for every (un)imaginable shell? You said you have no time - but you
are willing to waste time IMO.

marek