A second calling..

hi everyone,

posted something yesterday and got no reply. perhaps it didnt' get to the
list.. but i'm copying it here again for everyone to see ;)

> Just learning about syslog.. and pretty much have understood everything
bar
> one thing.
>
> The priorities of syslog:
>
> emerg
> alert
> crit
> err
> warn
> notice
> info
> debug
>
> Now.. when I log mail.err, will this log any mail error files, as well as
> the priorities above it? Or below it?
>
> Also.. using ! and =.... how do they fit in exactly?
>
> I'm just not sure about this priorities part, everything else i
understand.
> (I tried to read the man page but some of the grammar was awful!)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc-Adrian Napoli
> Connect Infobahn Australia
> +61 2 92811750

I also now have a second question.

If I have the following:

auth,authpriv.*                 -/var/log/auth.log
syslog.*                        -/var/log/syslog
daemon.*                        -/var/log/daemon.log
kern.*                          -/var/log/kern.log
mail.*                          -/var/log/mail.log
user.*                          -/var/log/user.log
cron.*                         -/var/log/cron.log
uucp.*                         -/var/log/uucp.log
lpr.*                          -/var/log/lpr.log
news.*                         -/var/log/news.log

are there any other facilities that I can log?

We also have:

*.=debug;\
        auth,authpriv.none;\
        news.none;mail.none     -/var/log/debug
*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
        auth,authpriv.none;\
        cron,daemon.none;\
        mail,news.none          -/var/log/messages

in our syslog.conf.

Considering we are already logging all facilities, these two are redundant
aren't they?