Re: ethernet configuration

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 08:50:42AM -0700, Stephen Monroe wrote:
> my /etc/init.d/network file contians:
> #! /bin/sh
> ifconfig lo
> route add -net

This is the so called loopback device which is available on EVERY ip connected
machine. Your ethernet is called "eth0" not "lo" ...

> The lights on my card are actually lit up and blinking,(supposedly showing
> data transmission, I think) but I can't ping any servers or anything.

Normal - You initialized your "loopback" interface perfectly. Means you
are able to reach yourself ...

> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:AF:EE:05:45
>          inet addr:  Bcast:  Mask:
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>          RX packets:24783 errors:1 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:1
>          TX packets:11598 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:96
>          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300
> My init addresses seem correct, except I don't have a "Bcast" address.

You MUST have a broadcast address - This one might be wrong but it looks
not THAT bad.

> Also, at bootup I know Linux recognizes my card "eth0" and it starts the
> DHCPcd.  The driver for my card is "Tulip," which it also recognizes.

When you are doing DHCP in your network environment this should all be
ok ...

Please have a look at your routingtabe (netstat -rn) and try to ping
the destination for your network "" (default)

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface   U         0 0          0 eth0         UG        0 0          0 eth0

This one ...

Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is
  catastrophic and is repeatable  ...             Cisco Field Notice