Re: IDE backup on single host (was: Re: Software backup)

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:15:05PM +0300, Jarno Elonen wrote:
> > > Does anyone know any way to make this more difficult without introducing
> > > a remote host? Are there, for example, any Linux kernel options for
> > > "device access passwords" or such?
> >
> > Maybe removing the appropriate /dev/hd* entries after backup, and
> > recreating them just before backup with mknod.
>
> Ingenious. :b
>
> Does it work reliably with devfs? (So that devices don't magically reappear
> after deletion, for example)?

I can hear sarcasm in your words, but what was the purpose of my answer
is to make accidental removal of your backups on a spare hard drive less
probable.

It doesn't mean you can't delete them if you really want, and I doubt
if there is an easy software method to do it. And yes, it doesn't apply
to devfs, but using devfs is not obligatory :)

What's your suggestion, anyway?

Marcin