Re: IPv6-only with SLAAC doesn't update resolv.conf

Alexander Koeppe <format_c@online.de> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> I'd like to make some experiences what would happen if tomorrow I'd wake
> up in a IPv6-only world.
>
> Therefore I've updated my /etc/network/interfaces file so to have only a
> "iface wlan0 inet6 auto" statement w/o a "iface wlan0 inet dhcp"
> statement.
>
> The observation I've made was that interface addressing works as
> expected, but name resolution doesn't work, since /etc/resolv.conf still
> points to the IPv4 address set by the DHCP config before.

So with out dhcpv6 client you can use "IPv6 Router Advertisement Options
for DNS Configuration" (RFC 5006^W6106^W8106)

To use this on Linux you need to install the rdnssd client. radvd also
supports this option if you are using Linux as router.

Note: This is not supported on several older model routers so you can
either change the router, use dual-stack or DHCPv6 (which wont work for
Android devices).

Jens
| Foelderichstr. 40   | 13595 Berlin, Germany           | +49-151-18721264 |
| http://blog.quux.de | jabber: jenslink@quux.de        | ---------------  |