Re: Headache with IPv6 (and IPv4) as ISP (access provider)

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:

> OK, since the previous thread get me headache the last 36 hours, I  like
> to know in short what to do, IF
>
> 1)  I have only one IPv4 Block of 256 addresses
> 2)  endless IPv6 addresses
> 3)  my customers get an intenret connection trough
>     a)  WaveLAN Alvarion BreezeACCESS VL (12 stations ~ 200 customers)
>     b)  FTTH Iskratel SI3000 (~2000-4000 ports of 100 Mbit)
>
> Currently I have 460 customers which access  the  Internet  trough  IPv4
> (only 180 IPs available) and IPv6 where the "pros" have no problem using
> IPv6.

So you already have NAT44 (IPv4 NAT).

> If I give my "private" customers fixed or DHCP assigned IPv6  addresses,
> they can not more access the IPv4 Internet.

Why?

People often wrongly assume that deploying IPv6 means switching off
IPv4. This is not the case. Your IPv4 will continue to work as-is (with
NAT).

Switching off IPv4 can be done (and has been done) in enterprise
deployments, where you have control of the applications and can ensure
they are working correctly (i.e. using proxies or NAT64). I think there
are at least 5+ years to go before you can do so in ISP environments.

> So, what I have to do (or the customers?), to let the outdated IPv4 keep
> working?

You keep IPv4 up and running.

Best Regards,
Bernhard