Re: schein.debian.org

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2011, Gerald Turner wrote:
>
> > Henrique suggests somebody with access to schein should look at this
> > weird routing (59 return hops), for instance running the command
> > "tracepath6 2001:470:e861::4".
>
> Not that I know tracepath6, nor have I read its manual or source,
> but looking at the output it sure suggests to me that what tracepath is
> reporting is the *remaining* TTL on packets it gets back.

I thought of that, but tried a few (incomplete) tests here in the LAN with
the IPv4 version and it returned the correct number of hops.  I say
incomplete, because I didn't try to cross the AS border.  Over the Internet,
it returns high numbers that look close to what I'd expect (64-hops) to be,
indeed.

> Assume the peer starts with a TTL of 64 that gives you reasonable
> numbers.

Yes, it does.  I just don't know if it IS a correct measurement, or just
looks like it.

  Henrique Holschuh