On mDNS and IPv6.

Hello all,

I hope to hear some illuminatiing on the following issue.
On a system where libnss-mdns is install there is probably
an entry similar to

    # /etc/nsswitch.conf

    hosts:   files dns mdns

The problem with this is that a gethostbyaddr(3) call
for addresses like

     ff02::5,
     2a00:1450:8005::63 (ipv6.l.google.com), and
     2001:200:dff:fff1:216:3eff:feb1:44d7 (www.kame.net)

return with h_errno = 3 = NO_RECOVERY.

In contrast, the usual entry

    # /etc/nsswitch.conf

    hosts:   files dns

produces the different error h_errno = 1 = HOST_NOT_FOUND.

This clearly produces undesireable spin-offs. Or is it a sign
that libnss-mdns is not properly configured? As far as I am
concerned libnss-mdns has installed itself on some of systems,
whereas it is lacking on others.

My problems arrise in the migration to IPv6 capable packet
inspecting software, or rather in the presentation of the
interpreted contents thereof.

Best regards,

Mats Erik Andersson