Re: DHCPv6 practical support

<remy.sanchez@hyperthese.net> writes:

> however to seek further tools/knowledge re-use I turned myself to the already
> massively in use ISC's DHCP server/client. With this one, I got several issues :
>
>   * I may have missed something, but it looks like there is no "enable IPv6"
> option anywhere, and I had to patch the init script.
>
>   * ISC's dhclient with -6 option is "not working", in the way that the debug
> mode tells me that it gets the IP and everything, but it does not apply it to the
> interface. I don't know yet if I missed something or if it's a bug.

As I remember, it runs a script to apply the address to the interface,
but that script hasn't been updated for IPv6. Consequently, it doesn't
work.

In my case, I need additional functionality which ISC DHCP doesn't
provide, as far as I can tell from the manual pages and Web searches.
The scenario is as follows.

My ISP provides native IPv6 over ADSL. The (static) block of IPv6
addresses assigned to my network is provided via IPv6 prefix delegation.
The DHCPv6 request has to be made over the ppp0 interface, but the
prefix (with additional bits added, i.e., to convert the /60 prefix to a
/64) then needs to be applied to the eth0 interface. During the trial
period, it is possible that the allocated block may change; after the
trial is over, it should be static.

I have this working with wide-chdpv6, but ISC DHCP doesn't appear to
support it, so I'm staying with Wide for now, hoping that it doesn't
fall into unmaintained status while it is still necessary.