Re: More complicated ipv6 routing with radvd

vegard wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 04:28:08AM -0500, Ron Murray wrote:
>> I have a slightly more complicated network topology than normal:
>>

>>                    Debian box as
>> (Internet) <-----> firewall/router <-------- Ethernet LAN ---------> etc
>>                         (1)                      |
>>                                              Debian box
>>                                              as router (2)
>>                                              Wireless LAN
>>                                                 etc
>>

> My setup is;
>

> (Internet) <---> OpenBSD as
>                  firewall/router  <------ Ethernet LAN
>                    ^
>                Wireless LAN
>

> Any particular reason you don't run it on the same box? I think that
> makes it a bit simpler, no?

I did actually have it that way once, but the firewall box I was using
at the time was more than a little old and didn't have any free PCI
slots. I needed to add a card for another purpose, which meant there was
no room for three NIC cards. That was when I offloaded the wireless LAN
to the other box.

You're right though: it would make things a lot simpler (one default
route to rule them all etc etc etc), and I do have a machine in the
firewall position that could take another NIC card, but right now I
don't feel like that much work. Unless there's no other way, that is.

And, of course, this way I learn a lot about routing. Sigh.

But thanks for your response!

 .....Ron